A broad portfolio of well-characterized disease models in pigs, poultry, ruminants and other species are available to support studies on human and veterinary biological and pharmaceutical products.
- IRTA-CReSA offers the possibility of using already established and characterized animal models on swine, poultry, and ruminants,
- Development of new models using these, and other animal species, is also offered.
INNOVATIVE AND COMPETITIVE ASPECTS
- More than 20 animal models already available.
- Biosafetyy level 2 and 3 facilities.
- Multidisciplinary group of researchers: from the basics to the field.
- Well-trained and experienced animal caretakers and technicians.
- Testing commercial vaccines and pharmacological products or new prototypes in the target species.
- Testing vaccines and pharmacological products for human using both in small and large animals: preclinical trial models.
- Proof of concept and validation of safety and efficacy studies under controlled conditions.
- Developing new animal models.
- Partnering as a contract research organization (CRO) or for research projects.
Examples of previous achievements
- Available swine models: porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus, porcine circovirus type 2, classical swine fever virus, African swine fever virus, Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae, Haemophilus parasuis, Actinobacillus pleuropneumonie, Escherichia coli, Mycobaterium spp, and others.
- Available poultry models: Gumboro disease virus, Newcastle disease virus, avian influenza virus (low and high pathogenicity), Salmonella spp., Clostridium spp., Escherichia coli and others
- Available ruminant models: bluetongue virus, Schmallenberg virus, border disease virus, Mycobaterium spp and others.
- Available experimental models in other species: prions and lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus in mice, border disease virus in Pyrenean chamois, bluetongue virus in cervids and others.