The BSL3 facilities allow working human and animal pathogenic agents or any other biological material under optimal confinement conditions. Alternatively, to the present service IRTA-CReSA offer to their clients the possibility of renting spaces (laboratory space and animal facilities).
- Technologically advanced facilities to carry out studies with pathogenic agents that require Biosafety Level 3 (BSL3) measures for their handling.
- Secure management of high-risk infectious agents including hermetic isolation systems, negative pressure gradients, absolute air filtration and treatment of liquid and solid wastes.
- The BSL3 facility comprises working spaces dedicated to laboratories and animal facilities to work with small and large animals
- Experiments are performed following strict ethical and biosafety regulations, providing as much care and welfare as possible.
- Experimental infections with human and animal pathogens (except those requiring BSL4 facilities) using multiple animal species such as mice, guinea pigs, ferrets, rabbits, farm animals (sheep, goat, cattle, and pigs) and wild animal species. The facility counts on 12 experimental boxes for housing large animals.
- Vector competence studies with different mosquito species can be also carried out in a BSL3 climatic chamber.
- Six fully equipped rooms are available when properly scheduled. They are devoted to: cell culture, virology, bacteriology, prions and molecular biology work.
- A BD FACSAria cell sorter is available and can provide independent services if required.
- Training, advice, and equipment can be also provided upon request.
Examples of previous achievements
- Research and services for public and private companies working in BSL3 pathogens such as: Classical swine fever virus, African swine fever virus, Rift Valley virus, prions, highly pathogenic influenza viruses, Mycobacterium spp and many other endemic pathogens requiring high containment facilities for their handling such as: Haemophilus parasuis, Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae, Salmonella spp, porcine circovirus, etc.
- Surveillance programs for the Catalan Government of relevant animal health problems (some of them shared with humans), such as: prions, West Nile virus, tuberculosis, avian Influenza, entomological surveys for West Nile…