ECESIS - An experimental approach to the trophic ecology and ecosystem impacts of Atlantic blue crab (Callinectes sapidus): Socio-economic assessment and control tools
The objectives aimed to be conducted in four provinces of three autonomous communities (Tarragona,Valencia, Alicante and Murcia) in order to attain a large-scale vision of the problems are:
1) the identification of specific taxa within blue crab stomach contents combining classic methods and metabarcoding in the different impacted regions.
2) study of the trophic level of the species across regions and habitats using of stable isotope analyses and mixing models to establish the main food sources.
3) to conduct of predator-prey and competition experiments to evaluate the factors that determine the success of the blue crab and identify the most vulnerable species.
4) to experimentally evaluate the possible predation control of blue crab by local consumers such as octopus or eel.
5) to feed models that allows simulating the global impact on trophic networks and the potential effects of its fishing, and simulating abiotic changes in the ecosystem using the Albufera of Valencia as a working model.